Preventic Tick Collar
Controls ticks including Ixodes holocyclus (paralysis tick) and Ixodes cornatus (indigenous tick), Haemathysalis iongicornis (bush tick), Boophilus microplus (cattle tick) Rhipicephalus sanguineus (brown dog tick) in dogs for up to 2 months.
RECOMMENDED FOR USE IN
All dogs over 16 weeks of age
1 collar weighing 27.5g and 72cm in length
9% Amitraz 90g/kg
DOSAGE & DIRECTIONS
Fit the collar to the dog so that 2 or 3 fingers can be easily inserted between the collar and the dog’s neck. The collar may irritate the dog’s skin if attached too tightly.
- Cut off and dispose of any excess length of collar.
- It will take up to 48 hours before the dog is protected (it takes 24-48 hours for the amitraz to migrate over the dog’s body).
- Once applied, do not remove Preventic (except while bathing or swimming as water will reduce the efficacy of the collar) since the continual dosage of Amitraz will be interrupted.
- Daily tick searches in paralysis tick areas are highly recommended for dogs.
- Preventic is recommended for dogs from 16 weeks of age.
- Amitraz is toxic if accidentally ingested. Immediate veterinary attention is required.
- Reapply a new Preventic collar every 8 weeks.
|Indication||Control of ticks, including paralysis tick, in dogs for up to two months.|
|Contraindications||Administration to sick or convalescing animals, or to lactating bitches; administration to puppies under 3 months of age; administration to cats.|
|Actions||Thin strap of PVC matrix which slowly liberates enough amitraz to kill ticks for up to two months. Amitraz migrates over the whole body of the dog enabling the elimination of ticks. The active ingredient is insoluble in water and has a very high affinity for the oily layer of skin and hair. Amitraz is a neurotoxin which affects the central nervous system of the tick. Neurotoxicity causes hyperexcitation which kills and prevents attachment of ticks. Amitraz is thought to paralyze the tick's mouthparts and inhibit feeding. Preventic has a pleasant mint fragrance.|
|Precautions||Do not allow animals to chew the collar. Seek veterinary attention if collar is chewed, and remove collar immediately should signs of skin irritation occur. Not to be used in conjunction with other pesticides.Do not allow children to play with the collar. Do not open inner envelope of pack until ready to use collar. Wash hands after use.First Aid If poisoning occurs, contact a doctor or Poisons Information Centre. Phone Australia 131 126.Disposal Dispose of excess collar and used collar by wrapping in paper and putting in garbage.|
|Storage||Store below 25°C (air conditioning). Protect from light.|
|Manufacturer||Virbac (Australia) Pty Limited|